Re: Galvanized Paneled Roofs and Modeling Peeling Paint

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek wrote:

I've often wondered why steam era photos show few bare or patchy roofs. It may be that the roofs became dirty so quickly, with the locomotives putting out literally tons of particulates and streaming back over the train, that what we are seeing isn't paint at all, but dirt, and dirt can cover raw galvanized as well as paint.

The change to patchy looking roofs seems to coincide with the general change in motive power.

       This comment has been made before, as to why we don't see the paint failure on steam-era car roofs, and might be true. Real point for modeling is, as long as steam was around, there weren't that many failed roof paint instances.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history