Re: Lumber Loads in 1947, 1952, and 1957 - Changes in Types of Cars L...

Greg Martin

Tim,

You might think in terms of "finished grades" and construction grades of lumber. I mentioned  earlier that "finished grades: were more of precision kiln dried mouldings, profiles and siding, but it included flooring, stair treads and the like. This would always be shipped in boxcars regardless.

When you are thinking of building material grades of lumber most kiln dried or air dried material was shipped in boxcars, but un-seasoned or "green" lumber would ship exposed. The weather would have little or no impacted on the grade only appearance. The grade in all cases was established at the end of the green chain at the sort and didn't change once the grader left his stamp.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 12/20/2015 2:43:51 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:
Is there any information available regarding the DISTANCE travelled by open cars vs closed cars with lumber? Most open loads back then appear to be unwrapped lumber and I'm guessing many grades of lumber would not do well if exposed to rain for long cross-country trips that could easily (and typically) take 10 days or more. Or is that not true, was rain not
a factor?