Re: CNJ USRA SS box cars

Dave Pfeiffer

Thank you, Eric.  I checked my library, but neglected the RP Cyc, an excellent resource!

Dave

On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:19 AM, "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Dave,

Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia, Volume 17, notes the CNJ cars were rebuilt with Hutchins roofs and 221 cars were in service in July 1951. The volume contains two images of the CNJ USRA SS cars. A builder image of 20029 and an image of CNJ 20370 that has a reweigh date of 5-46. CNJ 20370 has been updated with a replacement Ajax power hand brake but retains the KC brake components and the original roof. The caption notes there were 32 of these CNJ cars by October 1953. Specific car numbers for roof upgrades or the dates of those upgrades are not noted.

Lastly, CNJ 20370 has the san-serif CNJ lettering with the Lady Liberty emblem.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

From: STMFC@... [mailto: STMFC@... ]
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:03 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] CNJ USRA SS box cars

I am building a Westerfield CNJ USRA 40’ SS box car, and have 2 questions that I hope you folks can help with.  I am building the kit to represent a late ‘40’s or early ‘50’s car.  The kit comes with K brake gear, but I would like to know if they were converted to AB brakes.  Also, would the lettering have ever been changed to the Statue of Liberty scheme?  The kit decals are for earlier schemes.  I have not found any photos of these cars.  Thanks for your help.

Dave Pfeiffer