Re: Lumber Shipments in 1952 - Through or Interchange Traffic

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Charles,

I've had some fun playing with these statistics in regards to the Western Pacific.

So the WP handled 15,602 cars of lumber in 1952. Of these 3,112 originated on the WP, 2,062 terminated there (with 159 originating online), and 10,587 were handed off to other roads. I assume the majority of this traffic would have originated on the GN, came down the Inside Gateway, then would have split in two directions. Some would have moved east at Keddie to be handed off to the D&RGW at Salt Lake City, with possibly a small portion going to the UP. Some of the remainer moved south toward the Bay Area as terminating traffic, with most overhead cars going to the ATSF at Stockton headed to Southern California.

That sounds easy, but it's misleading. What's missing here is how much traffic originated on the WP's shortline feeders, rather than coming off the GN. In 1952 there were three important shortlines on the WP interchanging mostly lumber: Almanor Railroad, Quincy Railroad and Feather River Railway. Obviously this traffic is in the statistics, but can't be broken out. Nor do we have any information on how much traffic from these lines would have been handed off to other lines and how much went beyond the WP. This would tend to make the Inside Gateway traffic look larger.

I was also interested to see that the Southern's components are all listed separately. When you lump the four lines together, the Southern totals become much more significant. The SP becomes even larger when you add the T&NO and NWP to the SP. The same is true for the C&NW and CMO.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff