Re: What's in a name

mwbauers

They  first tried to use 'straight as the crow flies’.

But that made the names too long and was too clumsy to use.

Before you dismiss that in a literal sense, it is the commonly used phrase and image that ‘Air-Line’ is meant to describe.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Dec 26, 2015, at 5:32 AM, 'Scott H. Haycock ' shhaycock@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Garth,

I pretty much knew that it implied a faster, more direct route, being a SAL modeler.

I was wondering, though, since "Air Line" predates commercial air travel ( I think I've read of roads incorporating this into there name around the turn of the last century), where did the phrase come from?

Scott Haycock

Scott,

Likely pure marketing in most cases, since it implies a straight (and faster) route from points A to B. For example, the 30-(or so) mile Virginia Air Line was a C&O subsidiary which provided a short-cut between their James River route and their Mountain Division in central Virginia. This was designed to speed large amounts of coal to Washington and avoid extra miles and yard time in Richmond. Why it was incorporated as a separate company is beyond me.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff