From: richramik@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Fri, Dec 25, 2015 9:03 pm
Subject: [STMFC] What's in a name

I realize this is a bit off topic, but this is a question that I have been thinking about for a while now.  I've done some research but have not found the rationale or reason for using the following:
  • railroad
  • railway
  • lines
  • system

What would be the reasoning for using any of the four.  For example,
  • Pennsylvania Railroad
  • Great Northern Railway
  • Southern Pacific Lines
  • New York Central System
I guess what I am really asking is what are the differences between them?

Thanks,
Rich Ramik