Re: Pacific Northwest Lumber Traffic

Tim O'Connor

Going back over old emails...

I just noticed this comment about 100 car miles per day. That's actually
100% greater than the 1950's average and considerably greater than the average
daily miles per car day for the UP. The Cotton Belt held the title for the
highest miles per car day throughout the 1950's with an average of over 90
miles per car day. These numbers have only improved slightly since the 1920's
for cars in general circulation (not in dedicated or unit train service).

Tim O'Connor

Jeff,
For the total lumber hauled by a railroad, you need to total all four columns. So in 1942, UP hauled 3,492,636 tons of lumber in 108,520 carloads. I can not find anything suggesting that there are zeros missing in these totals. While 300 loads a day may not seem like a lot, remember that in this era most freight cars only traveled about 100 miles per day, so there were likely several thousand carloads of
lumber on the UP on any given day. UP's total carloads in 1942 was 1.4M.
Dave Evans