was: RE: Southern Railway nomenclature

np328

    What you are running into in your search regarding the nomenclature in the way SR railroad's cars were handled in groups is, what a lot of folks who have gotten together veterans panels for their historical society conventions have already found.

     If a person completes high school and then hires on to the rails at age 18, in 1955, today they would be 78 (age 18 + 60 years).

    Railroading is a tough life. I am not a railroad vet however have been fortunate to know a few and been more fortunate to befriend some. I have a great amount of respect for these folks. For many, any promotion or move up the ladder meant moving to a new city/state. Tough on wives, tough hours already on marriages, tough on kids who never saw dad half the time anyway.

For a railroader, age 78 is pretty old.                     However, I wish you luck.           Jim Dick - St. Paul