Re: Ice refrigerators lettered "RD"

pennsylvania1954

Turkeys? I think of produce, not turkeys, when discussing ice reefer classes. A couple of these cars are listed in Portland, OR, consigned with turkeys to New York City. Realizing that the loads are iced, not frozen, will these birds still be edible when they get to NYC and are cooked on the fourth Thursday of November? That is a long way.

During the early 50's we had family friends with a turkey farm in Englishtown, NJ, right in the middle of the state. No doubt some of their birds made it to the City fresh.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL