Re: L&N hopper far from home

Dave Parker

Tony:

Based on my rather small corner in space (the NE) and time (the mid-1930s), I am tempted to say "varied from painter to painter".  I dunno, maybe the  B&M painters were really enjoying their Guinness (or whatever was available back then), but it seems much easier to find multiple cars that were lettered differently than even two that were exactly the same.

Of course, this makes my life easier when working up (or buying) decals:  "close enough  is good enough" is a helpful motto when you have a handful (at most) of prototype photos to represent a car series numbering in the hundreds or (sometimes) the low thousands.  As always, YMMV.

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

On Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:25 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Dave Parker wrote:

I would concur with Tony, but would have said 'then some painters filled in the "stencil gaps" by hand.'

I have more than a couple of pre-WWII photos where the stencil gaps can be clearly seen in lettering 4" and smaller.  But generally not in the 7+" lettering, although there are exceptions to every rule..

       Good point, Dave, and I agree. I only wanted to observe that "non-stencil" letters were not hand-painted entirely. I would add that leaving stencil gaps varies from railroad to railroad, and depends also on era.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history