Re: Steel Plates On Flatcars

Greg Martin

Bob,

Consider the source. The use of stakes in the stake pockets was for a period between November 1st and April 30th as SNOW STAKES.  You're correct there is no provision in this mythology for movement at all.

Why oh why do they print this stuff with out proper editing...

It is kind of like calling Centerbeam cars "A-frames" remember that one?

MY,MY...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 2/5/2016 8:13:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

The March 2016 issue of Model Railroader featured an article titled, “Model Realistic Stacked Steel Plates” by M. R. Snell. The article covered modeling steel plates and making them into a flatcar load.

The author states, “While there are several methods for securing a prototype load on a flatcar, a common method involves simply placing pieces of lumber in the flatcar’s stake pockets”. The author used scale 4x4s to accomplish this for a load simulating nearly 75,000 pounds.

It occurred to me there was no provision made for the load sliding parallel to the car length as a result of slack action. And I have a hard time believing five 4x4s could keep the load secure from lateral motion.

Does someone have a loading diagram or prototypically correct instructions for properly securing a load of steel plates on a flatcar? I’m looking for something that would be appropriate for the steam-diesel transition era.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA