Re: Railroad paint subsitutes?

Pierre Oliver

Fred,
To be clear the issue isn't terrorists, it's the regulations the common carriers have to adhere to. To ship "hazardous" materials across international borders, like solvent based products, and alcohol based stains fit in this category as well, the drivers are required to be "licensed" to another level. The post offices and the courier companies will not pay the drivers for the added level of training or certification required to move such products across the borders.
That all being said of you seen this,   https://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/Floquil%20Color%20Chart.pdf
While not all the colours are covered it's a good start. Lots of Vallejo and Tamiya paints in there
Pierre Oliver
www.elgincarshops.com
www.yarmouthmodelworks.com
On 2/26/16 4:38 AM, fred@... [STMFC] wrote:

Hi folks,

Since I'm living 'over the pond' in Europe I have a paint issue.
TruColor and Scalecoat won't ship to The Netherlands because solvent based paints are considered 'hazardous goods' bad people make bombs from.... (how low do we have to bow?).

As a consequence these fine pre-mixed faithful railroad colors are out of my reach.
I have a bunch of kits waiting to be build and painted, but when I can't paint them in the right RR brown or red or oxide colors, what's the point of building a craftsman kit at all?

So the Q is: is there a way to 'convert' TruColor or Scalecoat RR colors to let's say Vallejo (which is a popular modeling paint overhere) or other brand?
Vallejo offers weathering colors like sand, dust, mud, rust, etc. But not the specific US RR colors.
Any tips?

Thanks for your help, best regards, Fred Jansz