Re: Chrysler Trucks

Tony Thompson

Mike Bauers wrote:

When a shot is all that exists on/of a target item, you take into consideration the points you bring up and your drawing or file that must be made, takes that into account.
Those points and flaws were considered, long before they were brought up here.
So, adjusting for that….. would it work well enough?

      MIke, perhaps it would be good to stop and think before posting. The photo you provided is of a MODEL, and very often model parts reflect compromises with the prototype. That makes ANY model something that needs careful checking before rushing ahead with a copy. Second point, the photo is a dead flat elevation view, which shows NOTHING of the three-dimensional angle of the shock absorber or of the depth of the spring mount. I would regard that particular shot as exactly useless for this purpose. And third, there DOES exist a drawing and good, angled photo (both in the 49-51 Cyc), for the truck we are discussing, though I think you are trying to address a larger topic.
       Your statement that these "points and flaws were considered, long before" . . . cannot be serious, unless your definition of "considered" is different than mine.
       I am not disagreeing with your suggestion that there may be some information, relatively poor, which might be a starting point, for any project. But to extend that point to suggest proceeding with 3-D modeling, using just the poor information, seems naive at best. My view is that if the poor info is all you have, you DON'T proceed until better material comes along. And yeah, sometimes that means you don't proceed. You've heard of GIGO.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history