Re: Shipping Bricks

Tony Thompson

Elden Gatwood wrote:

The steel industry and foundries all over the country used vast quantities of refractory (oven bricks). Since they were valuable, they were usually shipped on pallets bound in place with metal banding, but in your time perhaps rope. They could be any color, but the ones I saw were a very dark red/black, slightly metallic color.

     Both in steelmaking and other industries using refractory brick, there are numerous kinds, and they all have different looks. Silica brick can be gray to almost golden, chrome brick can be dark gray to dark brown, magnesia brick are various light colors depending on composition, and so on. I'm not saying Elden is wrong in what he says, only that there is a great deal more to the topic if you wish to depict pallets of such brick.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history