Re: What to do with empty rolling stock boxes

Eric Hansmann

I use several as parts storage. A self stick label goes over the end and a Sharpie is used to mark up the contents; freight car doors, specific kit parts (eg Red caboose X29), Tahoe trucks, K brake systems, hopper loads, spare decal bits, etc.

I also use boxes at the paint booth. They are the base for a model stand made with blue Styrofoam shapes. An image at the bottom of this page illustrates the use.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2015/08/06/simple-tools/

Another paint shop use is to cut a cradle in the two long sides so a box or freight car can rest upside down to paint. Lots of resin kits call for gluing the floor in place before adding last details. Using the box as a cradle to paint the underframe works well. Just don’t paint too far up the sides towards the area where the car rests on the cradle.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 3:57 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] What to do with empty rolling stock boxes

Say guys, this is not an earth shaking question but....what do most of you do with your boxes after the freight (or other) car is built?   I realize that they would be nice to have in case you wanted to sell a car, but I have over 225 empty boxes and they are taking up too much room.  What say ye ?

Charles Etheredge

Modeling the TNO in the 40's

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.