Re: What to do with empty rolling stock boxes

Eric Hansmann

I use several as parts storage. A self stick label goes over the end and a Sharpie is used to mark up the contents; freight car doors, specific kit parts (eg Red caboose X29), Tahoe trucks, K brake systems, hopper loads, spare decal bits, etc.

I also use boxes at the paint booth. They are the base for a model stand made with blue Styrofoam shapes. An image at the bottom of this page illustrates the use.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2015/08/06/simple-tools/

Another paint shop use is to cut a cradle in the two long sides so a box or freight car can rest upside down to paint. Lots of resin kits call for gluing the floor in place before adding last details. Using the box as a cradle to paint the underframe works well. Just don’t paint too far up the sides towards the area where the car rests on the cradle.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX