Re: tanks under wraps

Todd Schwenk

I speculate these vehicles are not tanks but most likely M7 tracked howitzers. This vehicle was built on the M4 carriage. It also had slanted fenders similar to the vehicles in the photo.It was open topped and would justify being covered with a tarp.

Todd Schwenk

From: destorzek@... [STMFC] ;
To: ;
Subject: Re: [STMFC] tanks under wraps
Sent: Tue, Mar 15, 2016 8:50:05 PM

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Dennis,

They did indeed ship captured weapons home for testing, with much of it going to Aberdeen Proving Grounds (once home to our illustrious leader!).  However, I’m used to seeing those “prizes of war” prominently displayed for the public to view “the enemy”.  I’ll probably have a load or two of foreign armor being sent for evaluation.

Regards

Bruce

Maybe not this early, however. It seems November - December 1942 would have been the first chance for the US to get it's hands on German armor, after the landings in Algeria, and early 1943 it could still be in transit and considered a secret. It would be cool if Delano had noted what the movement he photographed actually was, but he may well not have known.

Dennis Storzek