From: "Andy Carlson midcentury@... [STMFC]"
To: yahoogroups
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:12 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Somewhat Enhanced kit C&NW riveted side 40' PS-1 box car

Hi-
If anyone is interested in building a C&NW riveted side Ps-1 40' box car I have an HO "somewhat" Enhanced undec kit. A real nice construction article with a good data table is in the 1st issue of Railway Prototype Cyclopedia, Vol. 1, pages 48-58. Photos are good and cover all of the  series of riveted PS-1 CNW 40' box cars.

I say "somewhat" enhanced kit as the underframe will not be accurate, and though Richard Hendrickson said unless he was modeling a train derailment, he didn't need to model anything under the floor which doesn't show from normal viewing angles (Though I have seen some of Richard's models which countered this dictum). Unfortunately, I don't have the correct PS-1 ladders, though with some flat wire a STMFC'er could create his own accurate corner steps which attach to the ladder styles. Also, the article mentions carving the ribs on the lower side of the end of the roofs to clear the inside car body bulkhead.It is much easier and quicker to simply use a pair of rail nippers to cut of about 1/4 inch off the top of the bulkheads. It doesn't need to be pretty as this is all covered. The ends of all of the IMRC 10'6" house cars are interchangeable with the pegs lining up perfectly with the holes.

The builder will also need to reshape the side sill tabs which is mentioned in the article with pictures.
Here is what I have:

C&NW # 401-625 (225 cars) built 6-52 through 1953. PS-1 ends had the 6 rectangles at the peak of the ends and the roof had the "bowtie" raised panel on all sections of the roof. The PS-1 ends had no poling pockets and no corner tabs at all. Doors were 5 panel Superior and had Ajax power brakes and Apex Tri-Lock running boards. Three makes of trucks were used; National C1, ASF A3 ride control, and Barber S2A.
CNW Enhance kit #1, the CNW #401-625, blt 6-52+.

1 Intermountain 40' riveted modified AAR 10'6" IH undec box car kit
1 Intermountain 40' PS-1 roof
1 pair of IMRC PS-1 ends (From the 50' PS-1 kits)
1 pair of South West Scale Superior 5 panel doors
1 Grandt Line AB brake set
1 IMRC Ajax power brake sprue
1 IMRC Apex Tri-Lock etched metal running board
1 pair of Branchline Barber S2A trucks with IMRC semi-scale wheel sets
1 pair of Tahoe Model Works truck brake rigging with brake shoes for retro-fitting to the Barber Trucks
The above kit #1 is $41, shipping to US addresses included.

CNW Enhanced kit #2, the CNW #6200-7398 (even numbers), blt 7-51
The ends have no poling pockets, has the 6 rectangulars at the top The PS-1 roof had all raised panels.

1 IMRC 40' Modified AAR box car 10'6" IH Undec kit
1 IMRC PS-1 roof
1 pair of IMRC PS-1 ends
1 pair of South West Scale 7 panel superior doors with wide 3rd panel
1 Grandt Line AB brake set
1 IMRC Ajax power brake sprue
1 IMRC Apex Tri-Lock etched metal running board
1 pr Kato ASF A3 ride control trucks
This kit, CNW #2 is $43, shipping included

CNW Enhanced kit #3, the CNW #86300-87298 (even numbers), blt 9-48 The ends have poling pockets, none of the 6 rectangles for the top of the end. The PS-1 end has 1 flat panel on each end.

1 IMRC 40' modified AAR box car 10'6" IH undec kit
1 IMRC PS-1 roof
1 pair of IMRC PS-1 ends
1 pair of South West Scale 7 panel superior doors with wide 2nd panel
1 Grandt Line AB brake set
1 IMRC Ajax power brake sprue
1 IMRC 40' etched metal Apex Tri-Lock running board
1 pr Kato ASF A3 ride control truck
This kit, CNW #3 is $43, shipping included

************Please note: I have only ONE each of these kits until I get more IMRC roofs.

I have an extra RPC Vol. 1 if someone would like to purchase it for $20, shipping included.
I accept checks and money orders. With a small fee, I accept PayPal for payment. Contact me off-list (Please) for ordering or for questions at
Thanks,
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA