From: "John Barry northbaylines@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...>
Date: 03/18/2016 23:34 (GMT-06:00)
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Arcane question of the week

A lot lower on a flat car than a house car, with a gondola somewhere in between.  Seriously, the mass distribution propoerties vary not only by car type but by construction.  The trucks were generally a significant portion of the weight, but the underframe and superstructure were also significant portions.  My gut feel is that the center of mass moved downward somewhat as construction methods improved.  Welded Z frame center sills were much lighter than the bolted C channels for instance.  Using the same trucks with less weight above them would lower the CG.  Good question even though most of us don't have the data to answer it.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights

707-490-9696