Re: Tichy R-40-2/R-30-13 reefer ends

mwbauers

There's one more way to do those drill holes.

Do much the same as you do...  But don't drill with the template or parts held in place.

Instead of drilling with the parts and templates, use a sharp pin in a comfortable handle and mark the hole locations by pressing the pin tip into the surface via those templates or parts. Mark all of the holes that way and remove the templates and parts.

Now in every drill location is a tiny 'V' crater that perfectly centers the tip of the drill you wish to make use of. With the templates and parts out of the way you now have a center-punched drill pattern  on the surface without any possible shifting or grabbing of the parts or template during the drilling.

As a result, it makes the chore of drilling the holes some degrees easier.

Also, your templates will stay usable for many models. You'll find that to be handy for any custom templates you create and need to use several times.

Mike Bauers

On Mar 20, 2016, at 11:28 AM, "ed_mines@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

I never had any luck using the drilling jig provided.

I finally got some uniform grab iron holes using Yarmouth ladders as a jig and the space between boards (scribed line)  I drilled the top hole, pinned the ladder stile with a piece of wire, located the bottom hole, drilled it and then pinned it with wire. Taped the brass down; drilled pilot holes with a #80 drill. (Phew!).