From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:38 PM
To: Era Freight Car List Steam <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Creation of removable false-bottomed coal/gravel loads.

How have listers commonly gone about creating their own coal/gravel/crushed
rock, etc. loads without filling the entire car with a fortune of model
commodity materials, or creating a weight sink hard to actually be pulled
down the rails? Removable is far to be preferred.

Personally, I have used shaped balsa blocks,wadded paper, styrofoam, and
fabricated boxes of styrene, etc., all of which have their challenges.
Although my question is aimed at a myriad of open cars, my particular
challenge at the moment is a brass tender with deep coal space and rolled
upper sides. This tender was designed to be used with, and will only be used
to lead not only just one Steam Era freight car, but in fact, in serial
fashion probably thousands.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA 95864