Re: Gilbert-Nelson data from the Jan 45 ORER

Mat Thompson

John,

You have far, far more diligence than I but the data is interesting. I didn’t find a code anywhere for all the cars types – did I miss it?

I don’t do anything as thoughtful and elaborate as you but do pay attention to the types of cars and the road names on my layout because I believe the “right look” helps to tell the story. Here are my numbers:

OCRR

76

25%

Pacific Northwest

68

23%

54%

West (UP, SP, ATSF,MIL, PFE

49

16%

70%

East

20

7%

77

Reefers

40

13%

91

Tank Cars

48

16%

100

301

100%

Auto Box

19

6%

Box

67

22%

Stock

20

7%

Chip Car

6

2%

Exp Reefer

6

2%

Flat

24

8%

Gon

6

2%

Hopper

30

10%

Log

26

9%

Milk Reefer

3

1%

Reefer

53

18%

Tanker

41

14%

301

100%

I just sold about 30 heavy bunker type log cars – all were OCRs so there subtraction had a big impact on both my road name numbers and car type numbers.

Mat