Re: Interesting Photo of a Box Car and Load

Eric Hansmann

Gary,

I would disagree on a 1928 photo date. Zoom in on the photo. I can get to 250% and see the small lettering pretty well.

Look to the right of the door and there is a 1916 build date.

http://nyx.uky.edu/dips/xt7sf7664q86/data/12/345_0003a_p/345_0003a/345_0003a.jpg

To the left of the door we can see the WT stencil. That line reads K 11/16 NEW WT. This is the first weighing of the car when it was new. Subsequent reweigh info would not include the NEW here. This is one of the earlier Southern double sheathed 36-foot box cars. The Westerfield models reflect the 1922-26 built cars, which had a slightly larger cubic capacity.

The “S” could be an indication of a steel center sill. Note there is something like a trust plate above the “S” in Southern at the fascia.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX