Re: Interesting Photo of a Box Car and Load

George Eichelberger

Although more research can be done, here is some additional information on Southern 150555.

It is from an order for cars 150000-151006. 725 36 ft, 30-ton steel center sill (SCS) box cars were purchased in 1916, 282 in 1917. They are shown in the ICC Valuation records as VO (Valuation Order) 3 Group 2 in Account 53 on page 158 dated 12-31-27. Appearing on the initial valuations helps confirm they were built and on the roster before the first group of valuation entries were done 1916-1927.

They were built by Lenore Car Works on Southern Contract 633 and paid for on Equipment Trust “T”. (There are more than 1,000 contracts in the SRHA archives and most of the Southern equipment trust records. Although not typically very technical, those documents help “triangulate” data from other sources. That is useful when researching records back to the beginning of the Southern Railway System.)

Card Record F-59 (called “F-cards”) shows all of the drawings for these cars. Although I have not dug down to drawings showing individual chain links to confirm, virtually all of the drawing exist as original linens in the SRHA collections. The cover of the F-Card describes 350 cars were equipped with Bradford draft gear and 973 with Farlow. Drawing SF-1078 is the General Arrangement drawing. The F-Card also lists auto box cars in the 160000-160499 series. That is typical of the period as box cars, vents, auto and stock cars were built to Southern specifications with many common parts to reduce maintenance inventory. For cars not built by Lenore, Southern would supply castings (from Lenore Foundry), new or used brake gear, couplers and trucks to be used in their orders. A practice that made car builders very unhappy because they could not charge for those parts.

All of this information, on virtually all SR freight and passenger equipment is in the SRHA archives. If anyone wants to visit, contact me at archives@.... If this is not too boring for many people (apologies for the bandwidth) and I am invited to speak at CCB next year, maybe a “deep dive” clinic on this material may be useful?

George Eichelberger

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.