Re: Interesting Photo of a Box Car and Load

Eric Hansmann

Thanks for the details, George! I would be most interested in attending a
presentation on the SRHA archives. I enjoyed a Nick Fry's recent
presentation on the Barriger Library at the RPM Valley Forge meet. There is
a mountain of material out there, but we don't know where or how to look for
it in many cases.

I just reviewed my 1926 ORER and wanted to share the following date on the
Southern box car under discussion.

Southern 150555 is one of the 150000-153457 series with 3359 listed in
service. It is listed with the following dimensions:

8-foot interior height, 13-foot, 3-inch height to running board, 2448 cubic
capacity, and 60,000 pound capacity.

This series is listed as having steel center sills. Over 8000 other cars in
different series have similar specifications, but are being equipped with
steel center sills.

The Westerfield models reflect the Southern 153500-159889 series, among
others. These cars are listed with the following dimensions.

8-foot, 3.25-inch interior height, 13-foot, 3-inch height to running board,
2537 cubic capacity, and 80,000 pound capacity

I suspect steel carlines and roof components were used on the later
versions, which lead to a slight interior height increase and larger cubic
capacity. The 40-ton capacity is a result of heftier truck journals.

Hardware differences are the main spotting features. Wood ends and a wood
roof should place a 36-foot Southern box car with the pre-WW1 cars. Steel
ends and roofs place the car with the post-WW1 cars.

I'm certain it's not always that simple, but it is a start.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX