Re: Why MEK instead of Tenax 7-R?

Schuyler Larrabee

Silica gel can also be rejuvenated.  Place it in the microwave and give it a 30-second shot.  Let it cool and do it again two or three times.  It will get HOT and can melt, which I think isn’t good, but it can be dried out and reused.

Schuyler

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 5:27 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Why MEK instead of Tenax 7-R?

Jon,

                The material is silica gel (it’s actually granules like salt).  We used to call it “silica gel – do not eat” because that is what is printed on EVERY packet of the stuff.

                I bought a big can of silica gel at Wal-Mart in the craft section.  It is used for drying flowers.  Very cheap.

                I poured some silica gel into the bottom of a mason jar, and I keep my bottle of Loctite ACC in there.  The ACC has stayed good throughout my glacially slow build of the UP S-40-10 stock car that was the subject of Shake-N-Take many years ago.

Regards,

-Jeff

P.S. I live in a part of California with low humidity.