Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:00 AM
Subject: [STMFC] A large tank as a heavy flat car load

Some time ago I found this picture of a really impressive and heavy load! See - Variable Density Tunnel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It was a very fascinating load to me and so I hoped to find solutions for all needed things and techniques for modeling, load including car.

Ok, I found all what I thought to need for a realization - building a boiler, rivet plates and a fitting flatcar.
I made a scale drawing on base of 33" wheel diameter and so I received a few basic dates - plus/minus a few small deviations. The flat car should have a length of 36' and the pressure tank has 15 ft in diameter, the length of it is a bit shorter then the car - 34.5 ft.

Additionally I searched in web for more information. That was a great help to find more details and many pictures after I found the use and correct name of this pressure tank - Variable Density Tunnel of NASA for development of air planes and parts, especially wing forms under different pressure conditions, especially in vacuum.
The tunnel was built in 1921/22 and delivered to NACA, now NASA Langley Research Center in Virginia and so it was normally, that this pressure tank has a riveted construction. Today the tunnel is exhibited in Park of NASA Langley Research Center as a ''National Historic Landmark'' of Virginia.

Please look my new album here for some more pictures or visit a gallery with a complete history of this project in pictures on my website including many more pictures of prototype.

Sorry for my not so good English however I hope for understanding and your interest.

(Some more pictures will be added to the album here today.)