Re: perishable traffic patterns

Tony Thompson

The total tons (last column) are obtained by sum of the first four columns and the total row at the bottom is obtained by the sum over all of the carriers (including those not shown in this brief snippet).  The fourth numeric column, tons received from connecting roads is actually what we are after, the total number of tons of pure interchange (or overhead) traffic.  It was my hypothesis that the number of tons in this column would be greater for commodities that would be diverted more frequently.

    Really thought-provoking data and analysis, Charles. But I'm not sure what I'm learning, and I'm not sure the logic works here. Many perishable loads traveled long distances, thus had many interchanges. But if the eastward load was diverted in St. Louis to go to Boston instead of Philadelphia, I don't see how total interchanges bears on that. Seems to me that the numbers of total interchanges, even if correctly analyzed, cannot of themselves tell you anything about diversions.
     Or is there some part of this analysis that I don't get?

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history