Re: 41-foot gon questions - MDC 10-panel edition

Todd Sullivan

About MDC models....  When Jim Eager and I started approaching model manufacturers many years ago about making models of real freight cars, we found that MDC's owner (who was not a modeler or railfan - he was a businessman) would pick several photos from a Car Builders Cyclopedia of a freight car type (e.g., boxcar, gondola), usually from different car builders, and tell his tool & die maker to "make something that looks like that."  That's how they came up with a high cube boxcar with Pullman waffle sides, ACF ends and maybe an FMC roof (or something along those lines).  So, it doesn't surprise me that the 41' GB gondola sort of looks like a GS gon.  Later, they got much more focused on accurately representing real freight cars, to their credit (notably 50' PS-1 and FMC exterior post boxcars).

Todd Sullivan