Re: BLMA .008" wire grabs are no longer available

Michael Watnoski

Hi Dave and All,

Bending grab irons is relatively simple. I prefer the Tichy phosphor bronze wire over the Detail Associates brass wire since it does not tend to break when making sharp bends.

First, make your first grab iron manually. Note that while they are nominally 18", they tend to vary with the model.

Find a pair of needle nose pliers, preferably with smooth jaws. Slide your first grab iron on the lower jaw until it is snug. Place a strip of masking tape over the jaw directly behind the grab iron.

Remove the grab and replace it with a wire. Close the jaws and bend the ends at right angles. Trim the ends to suit your application. Check the width and adjust the tape to suit, if necessary.

Drop grabs are made by placing the tape parallel to the edge of the jaw, inward the depth of the drop. Place a straight grab against the tape and bend.

HTH

Michael

On 5/9/2016 11:54 AM, Dave Parker spottab@yahoo.com [STMFC] wrote:

I have long thought about figuring out how bend my
own drop grabs. Maybe this is the incentive I need.