Re: MAINLINE MODELER

Curt Fortenberry

Having done a few drawings for Mainline, I can say that when drawing up a subject, you're never in possession of all that you need.  Experience can sometimes get you to guess, sometimes you just leave it out, sometimes you use a standard detail (couplers come to mind).  I've got a hopper drawing stalled for lack of a brake system drawing.  I visited Bob a couple of times and picked up quite a few drafting tips (and this was back in the ink and mylar days).  There was a knack to doing a presentation drawing.  Bob knew that, and so did the others (they all had standards to look good when printed).  They were not straight drawings.  Line weights and shading were important.  I would think the resources on Bob's shelf are worth saving as much as the magazine material.

Back to my point.  Be gentle on those who draw stuff up.

Curt Fortenberry