MAINLINE MODELER a different point

Greg Martin

Gene writes in part :

Ready-to-Run models and highly accurate resin kits killed any thoughts of developing the Cadre of readers who would contribute worthy articles.

Gene Deimling

All,

I have known Bob Hundman for a very long time. And I have what might be a unique relationship with Bob and Mainline Modeler. We are still in touch as I am with some of the "crew" that made up the core of Mainline over the years, Dave Peck, and Bob Zenk, I have lost touch with Jeff but admire his work very much.

Bob would say, " the biggest mistake we made was not to make the hobby bigger, but to make the hobby smaller..." and in a way it did, or at least at the time. Gene has pointed this out above and Dennis might agree with that.

Bob likely doesn't realize that the fellowship Mainline created (as you can see from the thread here) is actually bigger now than it was then, our small piece of the puzzle has grown, and has had an impact on the hobby and how it addresses the fidelity to detail that we now expect. I have tried to point this out; however, as Tony has so clearly identified, Bob is strong in his convictions, perhaps a bit too much in my most humble opinion.  The puzzle has added many pieces and dimensions or perhaps clans, that was inevitable I suppose, STMFC, BBM, Modern Modelers and the like. But I don't see us as fractured as Bob or others might think. I see as a fellowship, striving for the same goals, checking our egos at the door as I have professed since the very first PROTOTYPE RAILS so many years ago.

I have the opportunity and blessings of Bob to perpetuate Mainline Modeler if I so desire, he just reminded me today as we chatted.   ~BUCKET LIST~  Bob just celebrated his 81st birthday yesterday and I celebrate my 61st in just a couple of weeks.  To him I am a kid... To me he is a beacon...

Near the end of Mainline Modeler Bob was of the opinion that the magazine, Tony, Richard and I had discussed this in the past, was more about presentation than content, an opinion both Jeff and I adamantly rejected, but Bob was being Bob.

Likely the hardest thing for anyone involved with Mainline wanted to admit was that magazine was dead, but at the time with the decline in authors, content, and the revenues dropping like a stone it was time, but in my most humble opinion not to go away but to evolve, from traditional print media to something else.

Mainline gave us something different, modeling content, if not in the modeling precisely then in the form of inspiration for better modeling. A tradition I hold dearly...

We talk as if all the good projects are gone, and I say that we haven't scratched the surface, there is so much yet to be done we need to embrace the modeling not yet offered... ONE PLACE, ONE IDEA, ONE FELLOWSHIP...

Print is not done, I have always said "feed your head"  if your library isn't full what is your excuse, the Internet cannot replace a library, but a library might include a different print media like a DVD and a visit to the Internet, but the Internet should never keep you from your modeling.  As my shirt reads, "Why Yes, I have done some modeling"... It will be the theme for PROTOTYPE RAILS 2017, its time has come!

I refuse to publicly discuss his business practices as I don't agree with them especially near the end, and I did let him know personally and privately, with all do respect this is not a forum for that.

Greg Martin

"Why Yes, I have done some modeling"...