Re: MAINLINE MODELER

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Nelson,

That does seem high, but often shipping charges are computed on the cost of the items ordered. This is the way my main archery supplier charges for shipping, and it really seems like a gyp when an order is mostly feathers. :~(

OTOH, consider the cost in wages and overhead for someone to process and pack the order, buying and stocking the shipping materials (which all have their own markups), plus insurance, plus postage. These costs keep going up. We tend to look back at some fixed point in the past at what now seems right and good, and forget that everything costs more, even though (hopefully) our wages have also increased. Think about the price of an Athearn 40' boxcar. They started out at .79 or so in the 1950s. In the 1970s they were around $1.98. If Athearn still made kits, and if anyone would actually buy them ("You mean I have to put it together? It's got 11 pieces! That's too hard.), you would probably be paying $15 or so. Instead you are paying around $30 for a Chinese person to have all the fun building it for you.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/25/16 5:43 PM, 'Nelson Moyer' ku0a@... [STMFC] wrote:

I went to the C&O site and initiated an order for the MM DVD, but they want $16.50 S&H, which is absolutely ridiculous for mailing one DVD via USPS, so I immediately canceled the order. I hope they will rethink their S&H charge, because until it reflects true mailing costs, I’m not buying.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 12:22 PM
To: STMFC@...
Cc: 'Scott Dam'
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: MAINLINE MODELER

http://chessieshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3291

Don Burn

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:19 PM
Cc: Scott Dam
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: MAINLINE MODELER

I found the sample but can’t find the DVD for ordering.

Scott Dam
Boulder City, NV

Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2016 6:56 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: MAINLINE MODELER

I get a page not found error.

dlm
-------------------------------------------------
Dan L. Merkel

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.