Re: MAINLINE MODELER a different point

Greg Martin

Nelson and Schuyler,

Just to remind Schuyler the charter issue was the beginning of Bob Zenk's SP PA article where by he took a piece of Chicken Poop and created a lovely Chicken Soup! The work stands up to anyone's work even today BECAUSE Athearn's nose is much closer than other offerings in styrene.

Scratch building was a passion of Bob's and I can understand the passion as my own brother was of the same clan, he felt that a boxcar was just, in the smallest is common denominator, just that, a box. If you recall my brother Ed Martin scratch built not one but three "Q" stock cars and presented one. Bob was not to be out done and re-created the same car in a different technique.  My brother liked the "lark" and would jump scale and modeling O Scale often or Proto 48 and has several projects in that scale.

I believe that Bob's passion for styrene scratch building came directly from his relationship with the late Al Armitage, a long time styrene scratch builder, a tool and die man for Revell and draftsman, left handed to boot. (Right in Schuyler's league of champions) Those that know how to tell will find it in his drawings. Bob tried desperately to get Al to model a project for Mainline, but Al told him that he was just not interested  at his age, and I hear the same from Bob now... I hope I can be like Richard Hendrickson and continue to model until I have to take the mail train home...

Dave Nelson, I am not sure how far back you go with your collection of Mainline, perhaps not as far, but the further you travel the more you engage.  The articles that most impressed me were the articles that Mont Switzer would present, he became a mentor to both my brother and myself, truly inspiring... He modeled at "my level", attainable excellence...

Let us not forget the exquisite articles presented by Bob Chapman, his mastery of pen, his accomplished eye for photography and his knowledge through research of subject and his close calculation all lent itself to a very exciting article even if you hated the C&O or L&N or the PRR. Truly amazing another comrade and mentor, these you could truly challenge yourself with.

The volumes of prototype articles that found their way into the pages are outstanding, like Martin Lofton's article on the PRR F30a and the other works presented by countless authors...

To focus on Bob and not look into the heart of Mainline is a pity.

Again, let me remind you all that in Bob's own words he believed that Mainline made this fellowship smaller and let me remind you that in my opinion some may say we may be small but we are mighty...

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message Schuyler Larrabee writes:

It didn't start that way, Dave. Bob Zenk's articles in the first few
issues, on rebuilding a commercial diesel model (I don't remember for sure
the locomotive - a PA? - but I seem to think it was SP) was a bash job, and
was spectacular. I still think about it. All my complete set of MM are in
boxes in the basement waiting for me to finish, already, the renovation of
the room

I remember one article which he published "Part 1" but there was never a
"Part 2." I don't recall what it was but I was very interested in it.

But later on, when I had the sense that Bob was scratchbuilding some things
just so he'd have an article to publish, it was all scratchbuilding, or so
it felt.

Schuyler