Re: NKP-WLE 24200-24501 boxcars

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Al,

I'm a bit confused about these cars too. Stan Rydarowicz wrote an article about them in the March 2001 RMJ, but lumped all the W&LE cars into one group, 24000-24501. His article includes a builder's photo of 24232 and a builder's ohoto of 24260, both 4/5 end cars. He notes that the W&LE cars did not have polling pockets. There is not information about 4/4 ends on a separate lot from AC&F, possibly because he no information about them. Stan used the RC kit for his models, keeping the raised panel roofs.

The June 1987 MODEL RAILROADING has an unattributed article with a photo of an AC&F lightweight B&LE boxcar with 4/4 ends, built in 1939. There are diagrams which show the wales to be thinner (thus more widely spaced) and extending all the way to the corners of the end stamping. Drawings for the PS wales show them to be fatter, less pointed, and stopping short of the edges by several inches. The article discusses them only in the context of the experimental 1930s lightweight cars such as the so-called PS-0 boxcars offered in kit form by F&C.

I also found a photo in the February 1987 MODEL RAILROADING that shows a W&LE car. The number is hard to read, but it looks like 24232 again. The ends are quite clear.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 5/25/16 6:42 PM, Allan Smith smithal9@... [STMFC] wrote:

I have conductors lists from the Sierra RR from 1952-1954. Four cars are listed NKP 24231 24449 & WLE 24281 24476.These cars were built by PS lot 5649 for the WLE. The WLE was incorperated into the NKP in 1947.  I've checked the 1937 boxcar list at SEFC site and the boxcar survey prototype site. I am a little confused by the info from these sites and would like verification of the types of ends and roof .
The WLE 24200-24501 built 1941 by PS had the PS-0 4/5 dartnaught ends with a (murphy raised panel roof?).
The WLE  24000-24199 built 1941 by ACF lot 2137 had ACF dartnot 4/4 ends and a (Pullman flat panel roof?).
All the photos I can find don't show enough detail to determine the type of roof. I find it strange that a Pullman flat panel roof would be installed by ACF.
I have Pullman PS-0 ends and I would like to build at least one model for the NKP and one for WLE. I can't proceed until I have verfication of the roof type for these cars. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Al Smith
Sonora CA