Re: Print vs. Screen

Jared Harper

I have been razorblading my MR's and RMC's for years keeping articles for immediate and future use.  The remains go into the give away bin at the library.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

---In STMFC@..., <sarahsan@...> wrote :

Friends,

My turn to throw something out here. To save space (including during my
stint living in a monastery as a non-monastic), I have for years edited
my magazines with an Xacto knife, a steel ruler, and a supply of file
folders. Let's face it, 90% of the content in most magazines probably
isn't worth saving, and if I miss something, I will probably forget it
soon enough. I mostly save freight car articles, plus more general stuff
about my favorite lines, and have a few folders devoted to scenery or
structures. I've also printed and saved many posts by our late guru and
friend, Richard Hendrickson, and yes Tony, some of yours too. That's
still a lot of paper when you consider I've been butchering magazines
for over 40 years. Occasionally some of the stuff that is no longer
relevant, or has been succeeded by better models/techniques,. will get
weeded. You can't keep everything forever.

I refuse to chop up my complete collection of GAZETTES, a few old
FINELINES I have collected, RPCs, or Ted's publications. For the latter
two, it wouldn't be worth chopping them, because I want everything.

For the past couple of years I've been buying some British mags (all
recently dropped by Barnes & Noble), since I take an interest in
English/Welsh O-scale narrow gauge. This stuff goes into binders, just a
couple so far.

Would I buy a DVD? Maybe if there was one on a railroad I am especially
interested in. Otherwise, I have enough projects and articles to keep me
busy in my pending retirement until the end, or maybe until I can no
longer hang onto my flush cutters.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff