Re: Scale Etched Chains

Dennis Storzek

---In STMFC@..., <smithbf@...> wrote :

Dennis,

Great idea!  A little more searching and I found a much earlier patent for a "Self-locking load-binder" in 1889.

http://www.google.com/patents/US398714

Not much between there and the one you found.

Yeah there is. that's the ancestor of the lever style load binder. When in use the handle is parallel to the chain. Here's a link to an  HO scale model:

http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/24655

I'm not sure I've seen many chains or  load binders on WWII era loads. Truckers use chains and binders, but truckers are present during unloading, and make sure they get their equipment back. Shipping via rail, when the load is unloaded, the chains and binders tend to sprout legs and get lost.

Dennis Storzek