Re: Friction Bearings

Greg Martin

Robert Simpson wrote:

Why should we "stick to the CBD" & a railfan term?  Who made them "official" arbiters of railroad terminology?
And Tony Thompson replies:

     Actually, like the entire Car Builders' Cyclopedia, as it says on the title page, "compiled and edited for the Association of American Railroads – Mechanical Division," and the editorial work was done by people from Railway Age, supervised by an AAR Advisory Committee.
      Sorry, Mr. Simpson, the CBD terns are not railfan terms. And the title page info tells you who made them the "official" arbiters. 
      Numerous railroaders have told me, "we always called it a roofwalk." Maybe so, but that term appears in no CBD. Instead, it is always "running board." It is quite interesting what working railroaders called things, and I don't mean to disparage working language. But if we are going to settle on preferred terms, I think using the language chosen by Railway Age and supervised by the AAR is entirely suitable.

Tony Thompson 
I want to follow Tony's suggestion, being the good student. For the most part I do but my bad habits get in the way, like when I use the term "Keystone on the Ball" or "Ball Keystone" which I believe to have been a "shop term" on the PRR as that is what I recall from those I knew that worked in the shops in Conway, PA growing up and it stuck. But there is no supporting or little supporting documentation for the terms. Circle Keystone seems to be less descriptive than the other two, but I use Circle Keystone for the most part for the damned Ball Keystone emblem thingie...  3^)
The one term that I detest the most is the use of "Hat Section" and I am not sure of where it comes from or if it was in the CBC or not, but the steel industry term for this piece of shaped metal is Round Edged Flanged Channel or REFC. I have been reminded that, "who cares what the steel industry calls it the railroads called it Hat Section". I haven't seen a reference cited, but I stick to my standards and don't call it hat section.
The point is there are likely several terms for a thingie...  The slang term often prevails even if it is a corruption of the word, like "irregardless" (even now my spell checker wants to change it) but our culture excepts it either way and often with correction... "Schools in" and we should follow the correct term to the best of our abilities.
Greg Martin
Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean 

Join to automatically receive all group messages.