Re: Distant freight car images from 1910

Donald B. Valentine

---In STMFC@..., <eric@...> wrote :

These historic Lackawanna photos are a real treasure.

In the main photo, it’s interesting to see the different gondolas and hoppers in the yard. Of the steel hoppers, I think two are similar to a design used on the NYC Lines.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-13-16/B0590.jpg

Here’s an image featuring a Michigan Central version of the hopper. It’s the one behind the gondola.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/mcrr-6932.jpg

It’s also interesting to see a mill gondola pressed into coal or aggregate service. Look to the far right and in front of the passenger car in that first link.

The next image features more of a broadside view of several Lackawanna freight cars and shifted more to the right. I count six or seven gondola designs. Here’s the link.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-13-16/B0591.jpg

And no, I’m not counting the remains of a car in the ditch near the photo title.

One of the photos posted today features a different angle on this facility.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-14-16/B0593.jpg

And another from today has a nice variety of Lackawanna equipment.

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-06-14-16/B0592.jpg

Thanks, Schuyler!

Eric Hansmann

El Paso, TX

.    It is not just the gondolas that I find interesting, Eric. Look at the DL&W

twin hoppers with the alternating channel ribs on their sides AND a rather

different exterior brace for the slope sheet. Can't say that I'd ever seen the

latter feature before as it is something that would have been remembered

if I had. Neat photos all. Thanks for posting their URL's.

Cordially, Don Valentine