Re: AC&F covered hoppers

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D. <smithbf@...>

Mike wrote:

Bruce, I'm not of the opinion that the Kato cars are aqctually models of
AC&F cars. I agree, of course, that they are of AC&F design...as Richard
notes. However, the hatch latching mech seems to be one used more by General
American. Certainly the UP Ch-70-2, for which Kato provides a model, were
built by Gen. American. The only reason I mention this is to suggest that
you check out the hatch latching...and perhaps the hatches as well...on the
Erie cars. For instance, the one in the photo on pg 28 in Richard's article
has single tines instead of the 2 as provided by Kato...and which is correct
for Gen. American built cars...sometimes [ note my usual hedge ]. Why is
this important? Who knows...maybe a tine counter will show up someday.
Yeah, I had noticed the difference in the latch...I hadn't decided if I was
going to do anything about it, since the latch mechanism provided by Kato
is both nice and fragile...but NOW THAT YOU'VE TOLD THE WHOLE WORLD...guess
I'll have to fix it <G>. Since I recently got a grit blaster, I'll
probably strip the sides with that to remove any chance of the lettering
showing through, and since I'm going that far, the molded grabs will be
replaced as well (Geez, this just went from a simple repaint to another
rebuild job!). Any other details I need to change to make them AC&F Erie
LOs?

Happy Rails
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith V.M.D., Ph.D.