Re: Ice Bunker Reefers: Preventing Mold & Mildew (Open Hatch Covers)

Charles Peck

Folks,  Oakite was a brandname of a line of cleaners used by many railroads.  Tank cleaning, hot soaks,
 degreasing, washing solutions, etc.  If some product literature from Oakite could be found, a listed
product use might include disinfecting reefers. Just a possible search area.
Chuck Peck

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM, destorzek@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

---In STMFC@..., wrote :

Regarding whether bunkers ever dried out I am wondering how many days with a heater in them would it take for a bunker to "dry out?"

Probably about forever, since there was no ventilation (remember, cars in heater service were placarded "POISON FUMES") so no place for the water to go. I can envision the water just condensing back out as it contacted cooler surfaces of the car interior.

No one has answered my previous question; Has anyone run into specifications for a cleaning solution to be used while cleaning the cars? That would be the answer to mold and mildew.

Dennis Storzek