Re: Glueing rail with Barge Cement

Jim Betz

Hi,

At least one layout I know about just recently "self destructed" with respect to large
sections of rail that was glued down letting go all over the layout. The owner lives
near the Central Valley facility. He loved the 'look' of the ties. I have to admit that
the track looked good ... until it let go and parts of it were even outside of the ties
hanging in space. ;-)

Although gluing the rail down seems like a way to save time ... how do you hold it in
place (i.e. gauge) while the glue is setting up? My advice is to spike it. At least one
advantage of spiking the rail is that you can rework it easier (if required).
- Jim B.