they are true and work well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Stone-Jewelers-Diamond-Wood-Carving-Craft-Metal-Needles-Files-Sewing-Set-/401160695901?hash=item5d670a705d:g:DPsAAOSwh-1W6SiZ
- Jim B.

On 7/21/2016 12:24 PM, STMFC@... wrote:
There are 15 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: L&N rebuilt 40-foot boxcars 93000-97099 - Sunshine kit 64.11 -
From: al_brown03
1b. Re: L&N rebuilt 40-foot boxcars 93000-97099 - Sunshine kit 64.11 -
From: cvsne

2a. oiginal floquil water reducible paint
From: ed_mines
2b. Re: oiginal floquil water reducible paint
From: soolinehistory

3. store bought sanding sticks
From: ed_mines

4a. ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: ed_mines
4b. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: Paul Doggett
4c. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: soolinehistory
4d. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: Paul Doggett
4e. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: Jack Burgess
4f. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: sr4mmka
4g. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
From: Jack Burgess

5a. Reworking Roof Walks?
From: jimbetz
5b. Re: Reworking Roof Walks?
From: Paul Doggett
5c. Re: Reworking Running Boards?
From: Benjamin Hom

Messages
1a. Re: L&N rebuilt 40-foot boxcars 93000-97099 - Sunshine kit 64.11 -
Posted by: abrown@... al_brown03
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:53 am ((PDT))

A few more published photos of the rebuilds:

L&N 94046: Johnson, "L&N Color Guide, vol 1", p 14

L&N 94242: Shaughnessy and Brouws, "The Call of Trains", p 136

L&N 95800: Johnson, p 6

L&N 96294: MRG 8/88 p 28

L&N 96577: Culotta, "Steam Era Freight Car Reference Manual, vol 1", p 57

Some of these are from weird angles but those of L&N 94046 and 96577 are pretty good portrait shots.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Messages in this topic (4)
1b. Re: L&N rebuilt 40-foot boxcars 93000-97099 - Sunshine kit 64.11 -
Posted by: mjmcguirk@... cvsne
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:28 am ((PDT))

Bill,

I downloaded the Speedwitch data pack last night - you're right it is full of great photos and modeling tips. Shows the cars strictly in their as-built single sheathed configuration - the Sunshine kit I have is the cars rebuilt with steel sides.

I'm curious, would the brake arrangements etc have remained the same as the single sheathed cars on the rebuilt cars?

Thanks again for point the Speedwitch data pack out to me - for those who haven't seem them I highly recommend them. In fact I plan to download the others later.

Marty McGuirk

Manassas, Va.

Messages in this topic (4)
2a. oiginal floquil water reducible paint
Posted by: ed_mines@... ed_mines
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 am ((PDT))

That paint came in a kit in what I think were half ounce glass bottles and was too thick to spray out of the bottle. Is anything like that available today?

ed mines

Messages in this topic (2)
2b. Re: oiginal floquil water reducible paint
Posted by: destorzek@... soolinehistory
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:16 am ((PDT))

---In STMFC@..., <ed_mines@...> wrote :

That paint came in a kit in what I think were half ounce glass bottles and was too thick to spray out of the bottle. Is anything like that available today?

ed mines

========

It was called "Polly S" (not Polyscale, which was different). Long gone. Some of the craft store "cream" acrylics would be similar.

Dennis Storzek

Messages in this topic (2)
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:00 am ((PDT))

I bought what I thought were nail files from a company in China on e bay (couldn't find my life time supply purchased from the surplus company in Chicago).

They turned out to be sanding sticks, about 1/8 inch thick and 7 inches long, of finer grit than traditional nail files.

ed mines

Messages in this topic (1)
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:04 am ((PDT))

Is ABS harder to work with (drill, cut.........) than traditional polystyrene?

Is it more robust?

ed mines

Messages in this topic (7)
4b. Re: ABS vs polystyrene structural shapes
Posted by: "Paul Doggett" @Pauldoggett paul.doggett2472
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:15 am ((PDT))

Ed It's more robust if you can glue it MEK usually works. It's easy to cut and drill.
Paul Doggett UK
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:34 am ((PDT))

---In STMFC@..., <ed_mines@...> wrote :

Is ABS harder to work with (drill, cut.........) than traditional polystyrene?

Is it more robust?

ed mines

===========

Not really. It may be a bit stronger, but not really enough to be noticeable. ABS is prized for the glossy surface the acrylic gives it.

The biggest thing to watch for is using the proper cement. Acrylic is more or less impervious to MEK... the styrene component will soften, but the acrylic can keep it from forming a good bond. The solvent of choice for acrylic is methylene chloride. Tennex is mostly methylene chloride, as is the Plastruct cement for ABS.

Dennis Storzek

Messages in this topic (7)
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:38 am ((PDT))

Dennis
Unfortunately Tennex is not available over here.Paul

Posted by: "Jack Burgess" jack@... yvrrus
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:48 am ((PDT))

Keep in mind that Plastruct ABS shapes are very much oversize. For example, both the flanges and the webs of their I beams are way over thick.

Jack Burgess

Posted by: smadanek@... sr4mmka
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:51 am ((PDT))

Tennex is also currently unavailable at my LHS in northern California. Out of stock at all their suppliers.

Ken Adams

Messages in this topic (7)
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:09 am ((PDT))

I don’t use Plastruct but do occasionally need to glue acrylic and bought some Weld-On acrylic solvent from Amazon a couple of months ago. The main ingredient is methylene chloride and it includes the Prop 65 warning required by California but was shipped to me here in California. So the State of California has not banned it.

Jack Burgess

Posted by: "jimbetz" jimbetz@... oldrockygn
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:45 am ((PDT))

Hi,

I received a car in the post today that has a replacement
(etched) roof walk. It is buckling in 2 or 3 places.

Does any one have a good way to reattach it - short of
removing it altogether and starting over?

There isn't a lot of space to get any kind of 'tool' in
under it to apply some kind adhesive! Yes, this car
is built, lettered and weathered. If it matters it is an
Athearn blue box car - so what I'd really like to do is
to simply (possible?) get the roof walk to not be
"wavy".
- Jim B.

Messages in this topic (3)
5b. Re: Reworking Roof Walks?
Posted by: "Paul Doggett" @Pauldoggett paul.doggett2472
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:17 am ((PDT))

Tooth pick with canopy glue and then a weight to hold it in position.

Posted by: "Benjamin Hom" b.hom@... benjaminfrank_hom
Date: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:24 pm ((PDT))

Jim Betz asked:"I received a car in the post today that has a replacement 9etched) roof walk. It is buckling in 2 or 3 places.

Does any one have a good way to reattach it - short of removing it altogether and starting over?"

Paul Doggett replied:
"Tooth pick with canopy glue and then a weight to hold it in position."
This is indeed the proper solution. However, to do the job properly, you'll need to remove the running boards completely and reattach with canopy cement at all of the attachment points. Otherwise, you're just kicking the can down the road as one of the other existing rigid joints will either eventually fail or, if it doesn't fail, won't allow enough "give" to account for expansion and contraction.

Ben Hom

Messages in this topic (3)

Yahoo Groups Links