Re: Smaller Files

A&Y Dave in MD

My favorite tool for this flash removal is the DuoSharp diamond bench stone that Jack Burgess mentioned (I think, I give him credit for many high quality tool recommendations due to his MRH column).

I have found sales and good prices in many locations but I compare to Amazon's prices as a benchmark: 

Dave
Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Jul 29, 2016, at 1:22 AM, Andy Carlson midcentury@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I would caution using a back side of a blade to scrape off flash on a resin stock car side. If you think about it, flash is an thickness extension of the resin part, rising above the area where the pattern ended. I simply sand down the sides carefully over plate glass until the flash just disappears. You will get uncompromised board edges and the boards will be true thickness.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:30 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Smaller Files

I've been working on a few Westerfield stock cars.  I prefer to sand the sides a bit per Jack's method, then drag a scalpel blade BACKWARDS along the edges of the "boards".  The sharp edge of the back of the blade  defines and squares off the boards as well as cutting the flash off.  The same can be done with the back of an X-Acto no. 11 blade.

Steve Lucas

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.