Re: Westerfield stock car sanding

william darnaby

I have also experienced this frustration as it is impossible to apply uniform pressure with one's fingers.  In a tile store where grout supplies are also sold I found a very stiff sponge measuring about 2 x 4 x 6 made for working grout in between the tiles.  When turned on edge it has enough "give" to nestle between the braces and other side details so it applies much more uniform pressure to the side when pushed down with your hand.  I am able to quickly sand down the backs of the sides and ends using 150 grit paper on a flat surface.  Yes, you will remove bits of the sponge with the paper but that is a minor annoyance compared to sanding through a slat.

Bill Darnaby

From: "Lester Breuer frograbbit602@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2016 10:45 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Westerfield stock car sanding

I sand as Bill and Jack suggested on plate glass holding the casting with my fingers.  I want to add that I count the strokes sanding in one direction ( say ten ).  I stop and rotate the casting 180 degrees.  Now I count the sanding strokes until I have the  same number of strokes ( ten ) as I had in the other direction.  I continue to repeat this method, matching sanding strokes in each direction, until the flash between slats disappears.  I believe counting the strokes in each direction helps to account for the difference in pressure my fingers and thumb may have on the casting when holding it.  I find keeping the sanding strokes in each direction the same helps me to keep all areas of the casting back as even as possible.
Lester Breuer

Posted by: Lester Breuer <frograbbit602@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional