Re: Westerfield stock car sanding

Charles Peck

I have doubts that I would ever need to sand plastic with enough pressure to flex one quarter inch plate glass.
At least not enough to make a difference on a model.
Odd size chunks can often be had at very low cost.  More cost is added when one decides the piece just has
to be some certain size.  And how much bigger does it need to be than the size of your sandpaper?
Chuck Peck

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 9:15 AM, David bott dbott@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Price is one reason. I recently bought a replacement piece of glass and a countertop for our fire restoration. I tried to get the sink cutout from countertop, but it wasn't whole and the pieces were irregular in shape. Adding a piece of correct size to the order was pricey. Might have gone to the factory to get leftovers but glass was cheap and abundant. I got a piece of laminate safety glass, dead flat, cut exactly to my portable model bench dimensions (13"x18") with polished beveled edge for $23.

The glass shop makes custom geometry furniture tops and custom glass shower doors as well as the usual window glass.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Jul 29, 2016, at 9:03 PM, riverman_vt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

   Thank you Tom. I was just about to ask why folks had not tried a piece of polished

granite rather than glass. Unless one has a good source for really thick glass and a
way to have the edges polished to avoid any sharpness it would seem that a usable
piece of granite should be fairly easy to find at most any reputable building supply
business these days give the demand for granite counter tops.

Cordially, Don Valentine