From: STMFC@... on behalf of MDelvec952@... [STMFC]
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:37 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Stars On Boxcar Door?

On many roads a star on the door or near the number on a baggage or express car would signify that the car was equipped for a messenger, and that someone may be on board.  We don't know the story behind this photo, but if the car was intended to carry any of those people in a passenger train (one does have a bed roll), that may be the case here. There is a camp car nearby.

On the Lackawanna steel cabooses a star near the number denoted a flush toilet. Might convey the same message, after all.

              ....Mike Del Vecchio