Re: NKP 22000-22349 series boxcars

Ed Hawkins

blindog@... [STMFC] wrote:
Been looking for a photo of this series with no luck. I'm building a Third Rail Graphics model for a friend. This is a Front Range double-door 40-footer, but based on the data printed on the model I seriously doubt the prototype is a match for it. I'm curious what doors, roof, and ends this series had. I've looked on line, in the Morning Sun color guide, and so on.

The N&W listing in the October 1965 ORER (I know, after this list's cutoff) says the series are "all steel, Z-bar" 40-foot boxcars with 10'0" inside height and 12'0" door openings. Not sure what is so special about Z-bar that it needs to be called out in the listing. Are these rebuilds of single-sheath boxcars?

thanks
Scott Chatfield
Scott,
NKP 22000-22349 were built by Standard Steel Car Co. in 1929. The SSC builder photo obtained from Keith Retterer many years ago of NKP 22249 has a 10-29 build date. NKP 22350-22499 were the same except with end doors.

The prototype cars were all-steel with 10'-0" IH, 12' clear door openings, sides with 3 panels to the left of the staggered door and 5 panels to the right, 3-section Dreadnaught ends (the "recessed type" with the seams across the corrugations, and Murphy flat-panel roof with Z-U eaves. Specialties included Youngstown doors, Peacock (22000-22249) and Ureco (22250-2234) hand brakes, and A.R.A. spring-plank trucks. Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins