From: 'Bruce F. Smith' smithbf@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Mon, Aug 8, 2016 6:07 am
Subject: Re: [STMFC] What Are These Folks Doing?

Stephan

Yes, with one door temporarily “sealed”.  My impression of the grain rush was that almost any “tight”, “clean” car was very valuable.

The presence of the GN car also supports the grain rush hypothesis, and Gary’s comments could as well.  Why else would a foreign road car be getting interior repairs?  Usually the car would be sent home for that sort of thing, right?

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

On Aug 8, 2016, at 7:12 AM, STMFC@... wrote:

Would a double sliding door car be usable for grain at all?

Staffan Ehnbom

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 2:00 PM, 'gary laakso' vasa0vasa@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

The fourth car from the right is a double door Great Northern boxcar and both doors are open.  For grain doors, wouldn’t one door be closed? the fifth car with is door close, appears to have a steam cleaner or a large shop vac next to it.  The stack of thick boards closest to the camera suggests floor board and end board replacements.

gary laakso
south of Mike Brock

Sent: Monday, August 08, 2016 7:45 AM

​Bob,

You seem to have already made that "educated guess".  That's quite a string of a "dogs breakfast" of cars that all seem to be undergoing the same treatment as well.  The boards appear to be too short for interior sheathing as they would not be close to full height.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL