Re: DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

richramik@...

Mike:

Thanks.  One last question on this type of car.  How long were these types of cars used, i.e., until the 1930's, 1940's. etc???

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 08/09/16, MDelvec952@... [STMFC] wrote:

Most of the DL&W boxcars with those boxes on the roof are lettered as "PAINTERS CARS" for maintaining everything from depots to bridges to signs or anything along the right-of-way. These cars regularly show up on team tracks or spurs near stations in this photo collection.

Does anyone recognize that DL&W with the Howe-truss-like bracing just under the 4-4-0 Camelback? There were a small batch of these; does anyone know the builder or if other roads had this car? I find these very interesting for the era.

Thanks                     ....Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Tue, Aug 9, 2016 1:55 pm
Subject: Re: Re: [STMFC] DL&W yard and distant freight cars - 1911

Looking at the photo I noticed a "WORK CAR" in back of the 4-4-0 camelback.

Curious as to the "growth" on the roof of the car.  What was it used for?

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 08/08/16, Schleigh Mike mike_schleigh@... [STMFC]<STMFC@...> wrote:

You stole my comment, Eric- ---

B&S 10001-10500  Pressed Steel Car Co.  1905-06 (B&O 139028-249)
B&S 10501-11250  Unknown builder  (Same B&O series)
B&S 12101-12600  PSCCo.  1907  (B&O 11601-12595)

All 41-9 IL cars with drop bottoms.  Did not last long past the B&S acquisition of 1932.

PS&N 9143 was from series 9100-9199, AC&F 1899, originally 100-199.  36-8 IL, 30 ton cars, note with Fox trucks.

Ah the old stuff----great times!

Mike Schleigh, Grove City, Penna.

On Monday, August 8, 2016 2:08 PM, "'Eric Hansmann' eric@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

Agreed.

This collection is nearly pure gold andan amazing historical documentation of massive changes in Lackawanna Country.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

STMFC@... [mailto: STMFC@... ]
Sent: Monday, August 08, 201612:00 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] DL&W yardand distant freight cars - 1911

Eric

What a fantastic picture! It captures the industrialization of America perfectly. The bucolic
scenery, and then a massive, brand new roundhouse and railroad yard. And youhave to love
that foot path from the roundhouse to the boarding house!!

And photographed from a CULM BANK ? A hundred foot tall pile of waste rock ??What a
lovely addition to the scenery! :-)

Tim O'Connor

Schuyler,

Th e next couple of images are great! A Buffalo & Susquehanna steel gondolais featured. I didnt know the B&S had any steel gons.
http://lists.railfan.net/erielack-photo/erielack-08-07-16/B0799.jpg

And note a Shawmut box car is parked on the stores track to the right of theroundhouse.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso , TX

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.