Re: Pulpwood Loads at Collinsville

A&Y Dave in MD

I use the small dead twigs still on the branches of white pine trees.

http://southern-railway.railfan.net/ay/models/pulpracks01.jpg

I cut mine so they are scale 5’ and the two stacks slant in towards the car middle.  I bake twigs at 200 degrees for 15 minutes in the oven--the house smells like Christmas and the critters are dead.  Cut with a NWSL Chopper set to the right length while watching football or the Olympics. Just mind the fingers as you slide twigs in and cut. Store in plastic potato salad container from the deli counter or use a ZIP lock storage bag.

Put plastic wrap flat on a car to prevent accidental gluing. Use tweezers to handle them, and place the first layer down.  Then dip the inner end of the next twig you grab in a puddle of  yellow glue and lay on top of the first layer. I use carpenters’ glue because it doesn’t come apart in high humidity but you could use Aileen’s Tacky or some other kind I guess.  Keep adding twigs until you have them tightly stacked in the car.  The glue will dry and shrink the load so there is a bit of room to remove the now solid load.  I add a small bit of wire vertically into the bottom of the load (it sticks down into the drain slot in the middle of those GSC cars) so the load doesn’t slide side to side when these open sided cars are on the layout.  Gon’s don’t need this wire.

I get more comments about these loads than just about any other open load in my trains.  The Southern Railway had slower speed limits on trains hauling “pupwood” cars due to the tendency of the logs to hang out, fall off, or swipe at other equipment.  They also tended to stick close to home roads when hauling their intended cargo because of these issues.  See an SCL brochure about loading these right:

http://smrf.railfan.net/SMRF/smrf_research/pulpwood/SCL_Loading.html

Of course, my models are only for my club layout.  In my home layout’s era of 1934, pulpwood in the Piedmont appears to have been stacked inside box cars for transport!  Pulpwood cars are more of a late 40’s (converted SU wood boxcars with ends cut down and sides removed) and later (50’s and 60’s saw cars built new just for pulpwood hauling like these ACL GSC cars).

Dave Bott

Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:26 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Pulpwood Loads at Collinsville

I use privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium) from my garden, cut to size and nuke it for 1 to 1.5 minutes in the microwave.

Barry Bennett

Coventry, England.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I asked Dan about it.

The wood is from WILLOW branches. It is cut to 12" (?) lengths and allowed
to dry out in a jar for a year (I think that's what Dan said), in an upright
and straight position.

The loads were fantastic looking!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/29068755915/

Tim O'Connor

>As always, I enjoyed Dave Hussey's photo documentation of the meet. Thanks, Dave!
>The photos of Dan Holbrook's woodracks (pulpwood loads by Frank Grimm) were of high personal interest. I have been struggling for years to find the right vegetation to model a load realistically representing pine logs. If Dan or Frank are STMFC list members, I'd welcome any tips on what they used.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Chapman

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.